Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Kids Are Awesome

One day recently I had a very bad day. About halfway through the morning, the kids brought me a bundle of something wrapped in paper that they had decorated with pink and red hearts. On the top it said: "To Mommy."

They handed me their packages with their eyes glowing, saying, "Mommy! Mommy! We brought you a present! We made you something!" and they looked so cute I just might have eaten them up. Lucky for them, I was too upset about other things. :)

I opened the packages carefully because they were awfully light and I had no idea what was inside. Maybe it was fragile...I'd better be careful. The boys were dancing with anticipation.

I opened the first one. Inside I found wadded up paper. About three sheets of it. I straighted them out, but there was no coloring and no words. I was confused. Maybe it was Micah's and he just forgot a step? Who knows. Better open the next one. The boys were still dancing and smiling and looking at each other as if they were sharing a secret.

I opened the next package. Inside, I find....more wadded up paper. No writing, no coloring. To be polite I smile and say, "Thanks, guys." Afterall, it's obvious they meant well.

Josiah says, "Do you like it?"

Micah says, "Isn't it great?"

Still being polite I say, "Yeah. You guys are the best." (Cause they are)

Then Josiah asks, "Do you know what it is?"

I'm hesitant to be honest because they are just so clearly pleased with themselves and their gift, but honesty was all I could come up with so I said, "No, I'm sorry, I don't. What is it?"

Then Josiah explains it all to his silly ole mom:
"Well, we knew you were really sad and we wanted to help so we took this paper and we filled it up with love and then we bunched it up so it wouldn't fall out and we wrapped it up so you could open it. Did you see the hearts I made on the outside?"

And then I think I confused them because they did all of that to cheer me up, but I cried when Josiah said that. It's one of the sweetest things my kids have ever done for me.


--------------------------------------------

John and I have been out of town for the last few days and when we got home all of the kids had made us Valentine's Day cards. Micah had drawn "something (he) never even knew before": a blue heart. A GIGANTIC blue heart!

Emilia had drawn circles and lines all over hers and when she gave it to me she hugged me close and so sweetly said, "Happy New Years, Mommy. Happy New Years." When she showed it to John she hugged him and shouted, "Happy Birthday! Happy BIRTHday!" She's such a goober!

Josiah went all out and wrote us a poem:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
I like Star Wars.
And you guys, too.

HA-HA! I laughed out loud! My kids are the best. :)