Josiah is interested in jokes...only he doesn't really GET jokes. I've tried explaining them to him, tried explaining the concept of a punch line, but he doesn't get it. He will someday, but what's happening in the meantime is something that cracks me up more than if he really "got" jokes: he keeps telling "jokes," even though he doesn't know how. And this is what we get:
"Daddy, what kind of mouse can jump over a barn?....All of them--barns can't jump!"
"Mommy, what did the one banana say to the other banana?....Why don't you banana me alone!"
"What happened to the clown when he jumped...oh wait, the clown has red hair. What happened to his red hair when he jumped into the green water? IT TURNED GREEN!"
What did the one egg say to the other egg? You break me up!
All of these jokes come from real jokes that I have told him to try to help him understand jokes, he's just changed the wording a bit. And part of what sends me into hysterical laughing while Josiah is telling these jokes (and while John is rolling his eyes at us) is that after every "punch line" Josiah laughs at his own joke as if he really "gets" it even though there is nothing to "get." And then, of course, I'm laughing which just encourages him to continue telling these really, REALLY bad jokes, which he is now convinced are funny. Last night, I was thankful to find out that I am not the only one amused by his joking abilities. We were at my Mom's house and she was laughing as hard as I was. In fact, at one point Josiah threatened to stop telling us jokes because, "I don't like it when girls faces turn red."
2 comments:
well, you kno that i expeirence ur chilren's "jokes" quite a bit 2, but just lol, and keep moving...ily <3...btw: ur crunchers really help me out...thnx
I'm laughing at his jokes because they are 10x better than Justin's. Justin can repeat a joke he heard, but he thinks he can make them up. His punch lines aren't even related to the joke. I'll have to find our jokes we learned at VBS and send them your way. BTW, I LOVE the song Little Wonders you have playing and I have now added to a mix CD for us and for a friend for her birthday.
Post a Comment