Wednesday, July 9, 2008
STAY IN BED!!
As most of you know, the boys share a bedroom and for the most part, it's great and the boys love it. BUT, we have been having a huge problem getting them to go to sleep at bedtime. They talk and play and get into all sorts of "shenanagins." Nothing was working...not spankings, not taking toys, not later bedtime, not earlier bedtime, NOTHING. Thank goodness for blogging, though, because after reading someone else's blog, John and I decided to come up with a new plan of attack. Two nights ago we put the boys in bed at their earlier bedtime and told them they could talk quietly until one of us came in and told them it was time to be quiet. They stayed up talking for about 20 mins or so before John told them it was time to be quiet and go to sleep. AND THEY WENT TO SLEEP (after another trip to the potty). Last night was the second night of our new plan and after we put them in bed they didn't talk AT ALL. Not a peep. They told me, "We didn't talk because we were both tired." Now trust me when I tell you that has not happened in a looooooong time. I guess maybe talking at bedtime lost it's appeal because it's alright to do it now?? Who knows. I just hope this lasts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We were having a similar problem with Kate. If we put her to bed at 8:00 she would stay awake until 9:00 or 9:30 singing, playing, or what not. I had the idea the other night to let her take two books to bed which she could read until her music stopped (we let her listen to her music for 10-15 minutes after we put her to bed. Amazingly the first night I tried this (Angela was out), I went back in after the music stopped to find her books stacked neatly on her stool and her asleep. I was amazed.
Let me know if it keeps working. We've been going through the bedtime nightmare for the past 3 years.
hey me being at volleyball camp and hurting myself has helped ur blog :P hope this plan of attack keeps wrkin 4 ya ily <3
I used a similar idea with Justin when he turns his light back on to read "one more book". I figure, hey reading isn't so bad so I just tell him to turn the light out when he's done. It works probably because it gives him a little control in the situation.
We were having bedtime issues a while back. We gave Lydia a flashlight and told her that she could read one book then she had to go to sleep. It has worked for almost a year now. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because she feels like she has control over when she actually goes to sleep or she just may need some "winding down" time. I try to remind myself that she is a person just like me, and I don't always get sleepy at the same time every night.
Post a Comment