Saturday, May 22, 2010

Stories from the Week

Last Friday was our first trip up to Dollywood for the year. With this, comes standing in line to renew our season passes. While waiting, there was a lady behind us that began talking to the boys. She asked them their names, about Micah's hair and then she commented on Josiah's eyes.

"You have beautiful eyes," she said. "You're going to be a real lady killer when you get older. Those eyes of yours will attract all the girls."

Josiah blushed and changed the subject.

Later on that day, the boys went to ride the VeggieTales roller coaster. Standing in line behind them were two teenage girls. One of the girls was talking to the boys. After they got off the ride, Josiah was telling me about their conversation.

"She was talking to me, but I kept my face away."

Why did you do that?

"Well, you know what that lady said earlier...about how I would attract with my eyes? And I didn't want to attract."

Oooh, no. We wouldn't want that, would we?

"No. So I kept my face away. But I think I might have attracted some because I looked before I knew."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At every mealtime after we pray I have the boys say something they are thankful for. Try as I may to get them to think about the intangible things to be thankful for, they usually say some item of food on their plate. What should I expect? They are boys, afterall. Emilia has started saying things she's thankful for, too, though it's mostly been repeating something one of the boys said. But on Thursday (or was it Wednesday?) she came up with her own thing to be thankful for! And it was so cute. She had talked on the phone to my cousin Emily earlier in the day and when it was time for her to say something she was thankful for she put both hands up in the air and said,

"I TALK EMMY!!"

Yesterday at grandma's she was thankful,

"I PLAY GARAGE!" (my grandma's garage is the playroom)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've told you before about how Micah comes up with ways of describing things that are so unique and totally him that they make me smile, right? At Dollywood last week I played one of those carnival-type games and won a basketball for the boys. They agreed on the Lady Vols basketball (YAY!!) but as we walked away, Micah said,

"I was really hoping we'd get the pretzel ball."

(aka the North Carolina ball. It's blue, you know.)


Also, last week Micah fell while riding his bike in the yard. I asked him what happened and he said,

"Well, I just got tired of riding my bike in the plain place (aka the driveway), so I tried riding through the yard, but then I fell."

No comments: