Friday, November 7, 2008

Halloween 2008

This Halloween was the first year that Micah chose his own costume, which ended up being a harder decision than I thought it would be. Josiah had decided to be a Power Ranger and, as we all know, Micah ADORES his big brother. So, the dilemma was this: be a Power Ranger like big brother or be what HE wanted to be (a monster with big eyes and grass coming out of his ears). Be a Power Ranger...Be a monster...Be a Power Ranger...Be a monster...He went back and forth and back and forth for a week before we came up with a solution. He was a Power Ranger during the day for lunch at grandma's house and then he was a monster with big eyes and grass coming out of his ears for trick or treating at night. Personally, I loved the monster. I mean, he makes a cute Power Ranger, too, but I love getting to see the parts of him that are truly HIM and not just what Josiah is doing. So I loved the monster. But I also understand the awe associated with older siblings, so I get why he struggled with also wanting to be a Power Ranger and I'm glad he got to do both.

All the boys at grandmas

The Micah Monster

This was also the first year we went trick or treating and I can tell you our children will not let us go back to the old ways! The boys had SO MUCH FUN walking around their friend Kate's neighborhood, ringing doorbells together and getting candy...lots and lots of candy! They'll never eat it all and I'm sure I'll throw half of it away before the Christmas stocking candy comes in, but they had fun getting it. Micah was the brave one and went up to the house that no one else would go to because it was too scary. Emilia didn't want to miss out on any of the fun, so she managed to stay awake in her stroller the whole time--until 9:00! Yikes! We all had lots of fun and I already warned the Hemricks we'd be back again next year.

Dressed up for trick or treating


Josiah must have gotten something good at this house!


John and Micah

2 comments:

Unknown said...

cute!!! i luv the costumes....
-LUV YA

James said...

This is the second year that we have trick or treated with friends. I love having the big group of kids together and being to hang out a bit with the adults while the kids go to the doors. I also feel better with them in a group. Harder to snatch a gaggle of kids than a single one. Come on back next year.