Monday, September 3, 2012

He's Nine

We spent ONE day as a family celebrating this wonderful young man. We ate funny face pancakes with the fam and played some fun games together to get the day started.

We went to the movie theater TWO times before we made it in time to see the movie.

Madagascar THREE is a very funny movie!!

Josiah asked for FOUR things for his birthday: some new books (any books, just more books to read), a new Lego Hero Factory building set, Mario SuperSluggers Wii game and some money to donate to charity, specifically to homeless people.

FIVE is probably about the number of times that I teased him about possibly not getting the new Harry Potter book for his birthday. He gets one book every year on his birthday and this year was book number three. He's already read 262 pages of it. Next year he says he wants to get his new book first thing in the morning and be left alone for the rest of the day so he can read the whole thing. Except during meal times. He still wants to eat.

John and I made SIX funny face pancakes this morning for all the kids. We started the funny face tradition 5 years ago on when Josiah turned 4 and all the kids love it. When else do they get to eat chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and M&Ms?? For my kids, the answer to that is "Never!"

Josiah got SEVEN good night hugs and kisses tonight. We were all eager to try out nine-year-old hugs and kisses. We've never had those in this house before!!

We EIGHT spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight, Josiah's request. With garlic bread, broccoli ("cooked broccoli, mommy, because you know I like it better when it's cooked"), salad and parmesan cheese. That's the list he gave me. I said, "What? No sauce?" He rolled his eyes at me.

Tonight, after all of the saucy hands and faces were wiped clean, I stuck NINE candles in this sweet boy's cupcake. We all sang happy birthday, savored our Chocolate, chocolate chip cupcakes with chocolate frosting (Josiah's choice, inspired by a Bill Cosby episode) and watched him open his presents.

I love my boy. I love his laugh and his smile. I love that he still gets hiccups when he laughs really hard. I love his sense of humor on the days it comes out to play. I love how sweet he is to others. I love his big heart to help. I love watching him learn and grow. I love how his brain is a sponge and can remember everything he reads or sees or hears. I love knowing what an amazing person he is and helping him see it when he has doubts. I love the nine years I've gotten to share with him and I'm excited about the years that are still to come.

Happy Birthday, Josiah!

You are an amazing kid and I'm so lucky I get to be your mom.

No comments: