Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Ski Trip 2007

There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt. --Erma Bombeck

Well, I know everyone is anxious to hear about our ski trip, so I will not delay in sharing our most recent adventures. I think in recapping I'll get all the bad out of the way first and then I'll tell you all the highlights from the trip. It all started with the flight out that should have taken 6 hours and ended up taking 12, 2 of which were sitting at the gate, in an airplane in Knoxville. Because of that delay we missed our connecting flight in Atlanta and spent several hours there waiting for the next flight. That was Thursday. Friday afternoon John got sick. Turns out he has the flu and strep throat. Sunday I "tore" my ACL (I put it in quotes because I am still hopeful that they misdiagnosed me. For those who have been asking, I have an appointment Saturday morning with Knoxville Orthopedics). Also on Sunday, John's return flight was delayed and he ended up staying an extra day because he would have missed his connecting flight. (Not that I complained about that because I was gimp by then) Tuesday I slipped and fell on the ice on my way to the car to go to the airport. Ok, so thats the bad. Now for all the good!

The boys were WONDERFUL travellers. They entertained themselves well on the planes. They entertained others, too, with their versions of "Tomorrow" "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph". And thank you so much Karen for letting us borrow the DVD player, because that was a HUGE help! But they were so happy and cheerful almost the whole time! Oh, and Micah was even working on getting his first girlfriend with all the flirting he did with the flight attendant on our last flight. They really were great and fun to be around. Here is a picture of Micah entertaining himself during our 2 hour interlude on the plane:


And Josiah got to sit in the cockpit and pretend to fly...complete with the captains hat!


During our layover in the Atlanta airport Josiah got to meet some soldiers (Army guys) who were all very nice and gave him some money from Qatar, and some cardboard Army money. Josiah told them he might be a soldier when he got bigger and they advised he go into the air force! On the way home, I had to ride in a wheelchair, which Micah called my "stroller." He even got to ride with me in my stroller in Salt Lake, and then we had side by side strollers in Cincinatti. Micah thought that was all very fun.

Josiah had a great time at ski school. He and Justin looked so cute all bundled up and scootching around on the snow. They really liked riding the magic carpet that took them back up to the top of the hill. Both of them even got to go skiing on the bunny hill with the big kids! Here is a picture of Josiah on his skis:

And of course it was wonderful to see everyone there, and really that's what its all about. Although John was in bed most of the time, so he didn't really get to do that much, but I had a lot of fun seeing everyone! And, contrary to what some fear, we are very hopeful that the next ski trip will be tons better! We all got home safely and are recovering, so we'll count our blessings there. John is already feeling better since starting his medicine yesterday and the boys slept over 12 hours last night, so whats to complain about? I'll keep you posted about the knee. Oh, and here's one more picture of the boys passing time in the Atlanta airport:


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. --Mark Twain

1 comment:

The Isaacsons said...

I'm glad you can find the humor in all this because even reading the "bad" stuff, I had to laugh a little. We'll be up in a few weeks so make a list of what you need done and Paul will be on top of it... (okay, I'll help) - Love, Jen