Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Who's in Charge??

I had my last doctors appointment last Thursday (baby and I are doing great) and had to take the boys with me. That isn't really a big deal. The midwives are great with them and they both like getting to hear the baby's heartbeat. The point of this post, though, is something that happened during the check-up. On the counter of the room we were in is a diagram thing of an intrauterine birth control device. Last time Josiah was with me and we were in that room (it's been at least 2 months ago) he asked about it and the midwife told him that sometimes after a mommy has a baby she will get one of those to keep her from having another baby right away. (And since some people have asked about this, no, I don't care that they told him that. I try to be open with the kids about everything. Yes, there are some things that are too much info, but Josiah, especially, is such a knowledge hungry kid that I try to inform him of as much as I think he is old enough to understand/emotionally handle. My opinion, knowing birth control exists, fine. Knowing my choices about it, too much information) THIS time, Josiah looks at the midwife (different midwife from the one who initially told him about it) and says, "After Mommy has her baby she's going to get one of those." (points at the birth control thing) Susan (the midwife) looks at me and says, "Oh, have you been thinking about getting one of those?" (as if I had been the one to mention this AND had discussed my birth control plans with my 4 year old) I said, "Ummmm...No." Josiah: "Yeah, because after she has this baby she'll have had 3 babies and that's really enough babies." Susan: "Oh. You think so?" Me: "What if I want to have another baby." Josiah, "But 3 babies is enough. Because 4 babies would just be A LOT of babies!" Susan (trying not to laugh at this point in time--me too, I might add): "Well, thank you for sharing your opinion. It's important to be able to express how you're feeling." Josiah: "Yeah. She's going to get one of those so she wont have another baby." Me: "Maybe this baby will be born and you'll think it's so much fun that you'll want another one?" Josiah: "No. Three is enough."

And OH!! If you could have seen his facial expressions and actions while he was saying all of this!! TOO FUNNY!! I'm not worried, though. This from the kid who for the month and a half before Christmas was telling everyone he wanted Santa to bring him a toy spaceship. EVERYTIME someone asked that is all he would say: I want a toy spaceship. And then ON CHRISTMAS EVE AT 9 O'CLOCK AT NIGHT changed that to wanting a Superhero. Couldn't be convinced to still write that he wanted a spaceship. So, I think he can be swayed, should he need to be :)

No comments: