Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Reenactment and the Squirrel

Ahh, the attention span of a 4 year old. And I won't even discuss the 3 year old's attention in this. Don't worry, you'll get the squirrel reference at the end.



And here is a story from yesterday...

Background: Every spring we have many crickets that try to make their home in our basement. Most of them are demolished by our fearless hunter (ha!) Boo-Boo, but every year they try again. This year, John sprayed some bug stuff to keep them out, but all it seems to do is kill them after they come in. So now they come in and die and I find dead crickets all over the basement floor. Apparently the boys had never noticed them before yesterday. When they saw them they thought they were spiders and they were afraid they were poisonous (other than that they don't move you can't tell they're dead) and so would not move until I removed the offensive corpses. Now, to be fair, they are pretty creepy looking crickets. Here's a picture I found on the internet so you can know what I'm talking about:


So, they aren't the most attractive cricket ever. Josiah literally stayed standing in the same spot for at least 10 minutes until I got down there to take care of their little issue (I was in the middle of frosting a cake and didn't want to collect cricket corpses in the middle of it). Anyway, here is what they told me later.

Micah: "I might be a little scared of the crickets because there is one that is the biggest cricket of all the crickets and we call him "The King."

Josiah: "Yeah, and inside there is one that we call "The Queen," but you don't have to worry about her because we stepped on her and she splattered."

Hmm. I guess the title of this should be "The Reenactment, The Squirrel and the Cricket."

P.S. You gotta love being a mom when you hand your 3 year old your drink so he can have some and you watch as he takes a drink, stops, licks off the snot that has run down to his lip and then takes another drink. YUM.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That video is so funny...i <3 micah's comment on "I can't see the squirrel mommy" / THE QUEEN cricket story is so funny / and that last comment about 3 yr olds and snot didnt need to be mentioned specially since im drinking a very yummy drink right now...and too bad i didnt have a video camera 2dy @ field day, bc the way u carried micah up that hill adn molly, it was histerical, cheyenne and i were dying of loling...and the way ur dad cornered him and he fell, that was funny too... well i have taken up enough space, better leave some for others (ha-ha)( :) ) <3 ya

angela said...

I haven't watched the video yet, but I'll have to check it out. James was very disturbed by this post. We call these kind of crickets "camel crickets". I'm not sure if that's what they're really called, but they are the one thing that totally freaks him out. :)

Rebekah said...

Tell James he can call on Josiah and Micah to come splatter the crickets for him. They are available for hire anytime he needs them. And hey, for friends, you can use their services for free, though it might take them awhile to ride their bikes over there...they're old enough for that, right? :)

Unknown said...

well, i dont have any crickets, but i have lots of different flying and crawling bugs, would they like to kill those???

Have FUN @ the beach...I <3 U!!!

:P