Thursday, September 24, 2009

I Can Take a Hint

Ok, so being pregnant and taking care of three kids and homeschooling isn't the easiest thing I've ever done. There's been a shortage of available energy in my life lately and as a result, some things just aren't getting done like I want them to be or like I usually do them. I've had to cut priorities a bit...you know, scale back to what's really important and what really needs to be done. I mean, REALLY.

Take bath time, for example. Now, USUALLY I give the kids a bath every other day, but recently I've been making exceptions to that. I mean, do my kids really need to be clean every other day?? I'm just soooo tired at the end of the day! John normally gets home at 8:30, by which time all the kids are in bed, so on bath nights I'm trying to work up the energy--after dinner time, which incidently IS one of those things that really has to happen every day--to get three kids into the bath and bed on my own. Yeah, that just doesn't always happen like it used to. Soooo, sometimes the kids will go 3 and yes, even 4 (gasp!) days without a bath. I console myself by remembering my childhood when I'm pretty sure I only took a bath on Saturday. So, twice a week--that's pretty good, right??

My kids have an oh-so subtle way of pointing out my short-comings. Today we were playing outside when Josiah came up to me and said, "Mommy! I finally figured out why this fly wont leave me alone--it's because I SMELL!"

And then, like all good little boys, he lifts up his arm, takes a whiff and says, "See? Come smell me! I SMELL!!"

Ok, ok. I will FIND the energy to bathe you. Maybe there's some stuffed under the couch cushions....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA!!!! i can totally see your kids doing this!

Meriam said...

DO NOT FEEL BAD!!! We function on a every three or four (or more on bad weeks) days. When it starts getting cold out and they aren't getting all sweaty they won't get that sweaty little kid smell anymore. We still have the mandatory Saturday night bath around here, too. We also have done morning baths when we just couldn't get it done the night before. (In homeschooling that's called the health and hygiene lesson, so it counts as school.) ;)