Monday, April 26, 2010

And Now You Are Five



My Micah Man.

My mystery man. There is so much about you that I don't understand. You keep your feelings to yourself and like to learn on your own. There is much about life that you like to do on your own. And I shouldn't be surprised. After all, one of your first words was SELF (always said very empahtically).



I still remember reading, "The Great Gracie Chase" with you. You loved that book. It was the only long storybook you would sit still to listen to. I wondered what it was about that book that captured your attention so much. One day after I read, "Gracie took a walk all by herself." you sat up straight, crossed your arms in front of you and with a nod of your head and a satisfied smirk on your face you said, "SELF."

And then I knew.

I knew you'd be independent. I knew you'd want to do things your own way. I knew you wouldn't be the rule follower that your brother was. I knew that I needed to protect and nurture and grow your sense of self so that you'd always be able to go wherever it was you were led with an inner confidence to support you through the journey. I don't know if I'm doing all of that, but I'm trying.



You are a boy of extremes. Extremely happy. Extremely mad. Extremely silly. Extremely not-in-the-mood-to-be-around-other-people. Everything is your "fravorite." Anytime I make you throw away a broken toy/picture/game/marker/book/piece of clothing, you cry, "But it's my FRAVORITE!" Thankfully, it is quickly replaced by a new fravorite. And "fravorite, fravorite" translates into second fravorite. "Red is my fravorite, fravorite color." Blue still rules the roost as your true fravorite color.

You are brave. Of all of my kids, you are their champion. If someone has to sit next to a stranger somewhere, you volunteer. If someone has to ask for something, you go without hesitation. I think it must be your independence. You don't worry about what others think or are doing. You are confident and self-assured. You are not afraid of new things or new people.



You make me laugh those deep belly laughs that are so good for the soul. Most of the time I don't even realize how badly I need a good laugh until after you have had one of your extremely silly moments and made me laugh until I cry. And then I am reminded of how blessed I am to have you in my life. How lucky I am to have you as my son. How much fun you add to my everyday life. I am so thankful that I have you to remind me to let go more, worry less and that life is better with a child-like heart. You are simply an incredible person and I know my world is a better place just because you share it with me.

I love you, my Micah Man.



May you always have the courage to follow your heart, the confidence to believe in yourself and something to laugh at everyday.