(Micah just came up and asked what I was doing and I told him I was writing a blog about him. He wanted to see his picture so I'm putting this on here for him. I took this just a couple of minutes ago and, yes, that is the infamous be-be wrapped around him.)
Monday, July 9, 2007
Oh, For the Love of Be-Be!
If there was ever any doubt about how important "the be-be" is, there should not be any longer. Last week John and I experienced one of the longest nights we've had since the boys were infants, and it was all about the be-be. Or rather the lack of be-be. Be-be had been forgotten at great grandma's house. And yes, she only lives less than a mile away, but he went to sleep alright at bedtime so I figured he would survive the night without his beloved. Oh was I wrong. The "fun" began at midnight. Micah woke up calling for me and when I got there he said, "Where my be-be?" I tried to avoid the question and offer other special things, like Pookah and Blanket. But those were no good. "NO. Don't want blanket! Need be-be!" So I had to tell him that be-be was at grandma's and oh, did he cry then. "NEED be-be!" I crawled in bed with him and he tossed and turned and tried to settle in and eventually he was still for awhile and I thought, no, HOPED he was asleep, so I snuck out. But no sooner had I gotten to bed than he started calling for "Daddy!" and went through the whole, "Need be-be" "Be-be's not here" "WAAAHH!" all over again. Micah finally decided he needed water. John got the water and came back to bed only to hear Micah also coming down the hall because he had already drank the entire cup of water and wanted more. Ha! We settled for putting him in bed with us since he was clearly seeking some kind of comfort. Well, all that managed to do was keep all of us (at least me and Micah, I really think John could sleep through an earthquake) awake for the next hour. Micah was rolling and flopping and squirming and kicking and muttering "be-be. Need blue be-be." One of us finally escorted Micah back to his own bed. It was now around 3 AM. Not more than a minute later Micah came back to our room asking for be-be. Poor guy. See the thing is he holds be-be the whole time he's sleeping and be-be gets all wrapped around him and whatever, but he's always right there. And whenever Micah wakes up I think he settles himself back to sleep by holding be-be. Oh, and he KNOWS be-be. I tried to substitute in a similar blanket somewhere in the midst of the neverending pining for be-be only to be told, "That NOT be-be. Need BE-BE." It was pitch black in there AND he has a tent over his bed right now---how could he even see?!!? He couldn't and that's the point. Just one touch and he knew that what I was trying to pass off as the one, was most definitely NOT be-be. Anywho...we've learned our lesson. Never underestimate the importance of the lovey or you'll suffer the consequences!
(Micah just came up and asked what I was doing and I told him I was writing a blog about him. He wanted to see his picture so I'm putting this on here for him. I took this just a couple of minutes ago and, yes, that is the infamous be-be wrapped around him.)
(Micah just came up and asked what I was doing and I told him I was writing a blog about him. He wanted to see his picture so I'm putting this on here for him. I took this just a couple of minutes ago and, yes, that is the infamous be-be wrapped around him.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a night! I've been thankful several times that Kate never attached herself to anything (she is much like me in this area) and was again after reading this. Not that we haven't had our share of sleepless nights - her attachment is to her own crib and when we're away, it's rough. And what's up with men being able to sleep through anything?? I wish I had that skill sometimes...
Post a Comment