Saturday, February 21, 2009

Micah's Magic Writing

As you know, Micah started writing his name not too long ago. Since then, he has started this new "magic" writing. Here is an example.

He did that all by himself, and to be honest, I don't think he realized anything was different about it. When I said, "Oh, Micah--COOL!" He said, "Yeah, I wrote my name." But I think it's neat, especially because he did it without trying or thinking about it.
Here is something else he did the other day...

Now this is just a case of that I've never mentioned that there is "correct" way to line them up. He just put them in order and said, "Look, Mommy, I'm counting up to ten." And then counted what most of us would consider to be backwards, up to 10. At first I thought some of this might be because of his, at least partially, left-handedness, but after a brief search online (Google knows all) I found that some kids just write backwards and upside down at this age and it doesn't mean anything other than they can do it and it makes sense to them either way it's written. Also, after searching, I realized the counting thing was just because we'd never talked about what direction to do things. Ah well, I still think it's neat!

The boys were given light "savers" for Valentine's Day from their gramma and grampa. There's been many a battle around our house and though I tried to give Emilia her own light "saver" (a small flashlight), she still prefers the real thing. (DUH! Brothers' toys are ALWAYS better than hers!) So here she is fighting Micah...with the real thing, of course.



Last week we had some really beautiful weather. YEA!!! It was so nice to be able to go outside and play and run around and not be cold the whole time. So we spent most of the days out there enjoying the sunshine and warmth and wishing it would stay for awhile (it didn't, it's back in the 30's and 40's). We played lots of soccer and Emilia LOVED that. Not that she played, but she thought it was great fun to be held while we were running at each other and kicking the ball. She would kick her legs and flap her arms (or kick her arms and flap her legs, as I almost typed!) and squeal--it was really cute! The kids also busted out the sidewalk chalk and made these beautiful drawings on our driveway.

This is Josiah's and it is a kite holding a blue potato.


This is Micah's and it's a man with one arm and a tummy in his foot.


And this is Emilia after she sat and crawled through their drawings. :)


These were the other Valentine's Day treats we made. The kids didn't help as much with the making of these, though Josiah did help crumble the cake, but they were great helpers when it came to decorating!

These little cake balls are DELICIOUS and if you're interested in making them, you'll find the recipe here at Bakerella. There's lots of other yummy recipes there, too, if you're looking for something fun to bake!
Back to the decorating...these were Josiah's two best creations (in my opinion). The one on the left is a pink flower and the one on the right is just a swirly creation. The one on the far right is one of the many blobs Micah made. :)


And this was my favorite that Micah made--a little smiley face. I thought it was so cute!


And last, but certainly not least, I've got two videos for you. The first one is from yesterday and the second one was taped this morning. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Candida said...

I'm very happy you posted Micah's backward writing! Brooke has done it a couple of times and when I ask her what's wrong with her name, she looks at me like I'm crazy (as if writing mirror image is the most normal thing in the world....) I was thinking she has a touch of dyslexia...

Unknown said...

hey! i thought i already commented, but i hadnt, so here it is again...now i cant remember wat i put, but micahs maic writting is cool...josiahs duet is really good and i made ur blog again: first it was my shoe, this time my sleve with mollys colorful pants =)
wish i was gonna see you today

carey said...

Coming from a kindergarten teacher - writing backwards means that your child is totally NORMAL. I've had so many worried parents ask about it. The reason they write backwards is that they do no yet understand the definition of a symbol. After all, no matter which way a dog faces, it's still a dog, right??? Thus the reason for the blank stares when you tell them it's backwards. I always advise parents to enjoy the cuteness of it now; they'll self-correct on their own.

carey said...

Oh - forgot to mention: I love the homemade candy. I'll have to check out the site and tuck it away for when Kendall is older. You always seem to have the best ideas of things to do with your children. I bet they have great imaginations because of it!