Thursday, August 5, 2010

Now I Get It

As I've mentioned, Emilia has been potty training. She's been doing AWESOME. So awesome. She stays dry at night and nap time and takes herself during the day and it's been FAB-U-LOUS. Until the last two days...

The last two days have been a time of major regression. And much frustration on my part because she will run through the house saying she has to go pee and then have an accident RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE POTTY.

Arg.

Five times in the past two days I have mopped the bathroom floor because she peed a big ole puddle right in front of the potty. The first one yesterday was even her "first thing in the morning" pee and there was a HUGE puddle...that she was splashing and stomping in like a rain puddle, of course. (I "mopped" all surfaces of the bathroom on that one because there were little pee splashes ALL OVER. Someday I will laugh about that.)

I started punishing her after the second "accident" because she's been doing SO GOOD that it was pretty obvious to me that it wasn't really so accidental.

This afternoon she had another one of these "accidents." I was cleaning her and cleaning the floor and asking her why she was doing this.

Emilia, WHAT were you doing? Why did you pee on the floor again?

I pee in potty.

Noooo--you peed on the floor. Where do we pee?

In the potty.

Yes. We sit on the potty and pee. Why didn't you pee in the potty?

I pee in potty.



And then it hit me:

She's been standing in front of the potty to pee IN the potty like the boys do.



Have you been trying to stand up to pee like the boys do?

Yes!

Well, sweetie, that's never gonna work for you. You don't have (the necessary part).

Oh.



Here's hoping that she's accepted that she will never be able to pee standing up and will resume the use of her Elmo "booster seat" for the potty. That's special, too, right??

2 comments:

carey said...

LOL! That's hilarious! And a gold star sticker to you for figuring it out. Kendall has the same Elmo potty, though she's not all that interested in using it right now. Hopefully soon...

Katie said...

My little one has been standing and pointing her hips at the potty too, but so far hasn't actually done anything yet. I hope Emilia gets back to her old routine soon.