
How can it be that my baby girl is already one year old? In so many ways, it does not seem possible that it was one year ago that I was at the birth center waiting, praying, laboring, for the arrival of this precious little one. And exactly one year ago from when I am typing this, I didn't even know if our little sweetie was a boy or a girl. How, how, HOW does time go by so quickly?? I asked the boys at lunch if they thought the day Molly was born seemed like a long time ago or a short time. Of course, they both said, "Oh, a looooong time!" So, I guess a lot of it must be perspective. From mine, I just can't believe it.
In honor of my little lady's first birthday, I thought I'd put together a list of my favorite or most memorable moments from the last 12 months...or more, depending on if I think of anything from when I was pregnant with her. Here goes!
*The moment I found out that my little one was a girl will always stand out in my mind. Not only was I SHOCKED that she was a girl, but also because during labor the midwife had said she would let John tell me what the baby was. So, after the baby is born, they put the baby on my chest and I'm holding her just marveling at her newness and all of that newborn sweetness, how they snuggle in and look up at me, seeming to finally be putting a face with the voice they've been hearing for so long (or maybe they're just in shock thinking, "You made me leave that to come HERE??") and I'm hoping she'll cry out soon and I look at John and say, "What is it? Boy or girl?" And he says, "I-I-I THINK(?) it's a girl?" Everyone laughed! I said, "You think??" He said, "Well, it went by so fast!" Still makes me smile to think about. What a classic Mustaleski way to welcome our new little baby. I think that's they way John and I feel about parenting most of the time. I think we're doing this right. We're doing our best, at least.

*Laying across our bed face down on my stomach letting Emilia hold onto a finger on one hand and rubbing her face with my other hand, sometimes singing, sometimes humming to help her fall asleep...and oftentimes falling asleep in the process.
*Seeing her face light up when she woke up and saw me. And then once she was sleeping on her stomach watching her do a face plant and flap her arms and legs because she was soooo excited!
*My little burrito baby. She slept swaddled for several months--maybe 4 or 5?? She loved to be swaddled. In fact, sometimes I would swaddle her and she would just lay there wide awake looking around at the world, safe in her little burrito cocoon.

*Her grey hair! It got quite long the first time, an inch or more. It fell out and grew back three times. The fourth time, it never grew back. She's probably happy about that!
When she was a newborn she did this furrow thing with her brow. She still does it now when she concentrates, but back then I always wondered what she was scowling about! And she slept with her mouth open...a lot.

*The way she sticks her head between my legs and holds her arms out, not up, OUT for me to pick her up.

*What it was like to have a baby who has four teeth coming in at the same time and two other kids to have to take care of, too. AHHHHHHHHHHH! Run away!
*How shiny bald she was for the first 9 months of her life! I'm still waiting to find out what color hair she will have and when she does finally have hair, I think she is going to look sooooo different to me because I'm so used to her with little to no hair. I think her having hair is what will make me realize that she is not a baby anymore, but has already grown into a little girl.

*Oh, does she love her momma! I will remember the anxiousness of walking into a room and trying to hide from her (isn't that awful?) because if she sees me, she wants me, but if she doesn't see me, she is as happy as can be. And I'll remember those flappy arms and kicky legs that start up with the "Uh! Uh!" and grabby hands after she notices that I'm in the room. And then the mixed emotions of love and exhaustion when she went from full-out screaming fit to happy baby once my hands were on her.

*How drooly she was! She had all these cute little girl clothes and outfits that no one ever got to see because I always had to have a bib on her and several extra bibs nearby because she would drool so much she'd soak through them in no time. And then when she discovered her hands she'd have drool running down her hands and arms all over the place. I never knew a little kid could drool so much!

*She slept right next to me for almost 6 months and when we moved her to her crib, I missed her those first few nights. I know that sounds weird or crazy or something, and I do love my kids immensely, but I try not to be too over the top about it, but I did miss her...just like I missed her last Wednesday when she and I slept in totally different houses. She wasn't even just down the hall. I missed her then, too.
*How she moans when she's falling asleep or waking up. It is so cute. I love it.
*The way she dances to "Twist and Shout"

*The things that make her laugh: the cats, swinging, bouncing, playing basketball, kissing her belly, peek-a-boo (or jumping out from around a corner and saying "BOO!"), and I discovered a new one today--balloons!

*Ever since she was about 11 months old, she's known what to do with a phone (put it to your shoulder and say, "Ooooh?")

and the remote (point it toward the TV and push buttons).
*How she plays with her bows, putting them in, taking them out, sorting them out on the floor.

*When she had her first teeth coming in she would put one of her small stuffed toys in her mouth and just chomp it. Most of these toys are animals and she usually stuck their heads in her mouth. It was really funny because she would let go of the toy and play with something else while still chomping on the animal's head!

*When she would eat and she would hold her toes on her foot, or one of my fingers and flick the edge of my nail.
*That her fingernails grow SOOOOO FAST! And they're SHARP little suckers, too. She's scratched her face more times (especially around her nose and eyes) than I can count because she's got sharp little dagger fingernails. I need to cut them at least twice a week, but that doesn't always happen around here...I wonder why?

*When she first discovered the art of blowing raspberries she would get sooo into it! She'd make this very serious face and tuck her chin under and blow spit everywhere!

*She loves books and for several months now will bring me a book and crawl in my lap for me to read it to her. We don't usually get much farther than a page or two before she starts just flipping the pages around and jabbering about whatever, but she likes to just sit with me and look at books. Ah, yes, she understands my heart!

*She gives hugs and kisses. The hugs don't involve much holding on her part, she just likes to lean into your shoulder and let you hold her and I call them "loves" instead of hugs because she's letting me just love on her. And her kisses are still of the mouth-open, slobber-all-over-your-cheek variety, but they still melt my heart and I'll take one anytime.
*She is my sweet little lovebug, but she is also quite serious. She is determined and stubborn and persistent in trying to learn new things. She thinks whatever her brothers have is waaaay cooler than any of the baby toys she has, except for her stroller which has partially been replaced by the blue chair that she has been pushing around since yesterday.

*John says his favorite part of her first year of life is that about 2 months ago she finally realized she has a daddy. :) She started getting excited when he comes home from work and she likes to talk to him on the phone, although she also frequently hangs up on him!
*Sometimes when she crawls (mostly on the wood floors) she puts one leg up and scootches on the other leg. She also plays a lot with one leg up. And when she crawls "normally" she shakes her booty.

*She LOVES being outside. She'll stand at the sliding door to the porch and pound on the door because she wants to go out.

*The way she used to clank her pacie down the crib bars when she woke up.
*When she's eating and she wants more of something she points at her tray and pokes it with her little pointy finger. That's not sounding right, but she pokes her tray really hard with her finger sticking out and makes this face that, to me, says, "Gimme more. Right HERE."

*She says yucky but it really sounds like this: kee-kee (but she says the "k" sound back in her throat)
*Her silky. She has a couple of "filler" silkies that allow me to wash them from time to time, but her favorite is the pink one, which is actually a hand-me-down from someone. She takes the corner of it and rubs her cheek with it while she's moaning herself to sleep.

Well, that's it. My little lady is now officially one. We rang in her first year with spaghetti and a bowl of ice cream. She's awesome. If you haven't met her yet, I can't wait until you get the chance to! I'm so blessed to have such awesome kids, all three of them. But you, my sweet Emilia, my big little one year old, my precious girl, today I celebrate the gift you are to me, to this family, to my heart. I am so thankful to God for every moment I get to spend with you, for the year that's gone and for all the years to come. Happy Birthday, baby girl.
1 comment:
awww...so sweet. i still cant believe she is one. on sunday i was thinking of how exactly a year ago we had been talkin about how it wud b funny if she was born the next day, and was a girl...the next day she was...=)
.luvz ya and ur sweet little girl. <3
Post a Comment