Yesterday we went to the library to pick up some books I had on hold (anyone want to learn to make homemade cheese with me?). Now, to be honest, I had every intention of making this a quick trip...driving the one mile to the library and possibly even not letting the kids look around. I mean, it was already after 1 o'clock when we left, Emilia was going to need a nap soon and the boys are always tired at this time of day. My kids had other plans, though. We got outside and Micah started dancing around in the driveway singing, "We're walking to the library! We're walking to the library!" I said, "Oh. You want to walk? I was planning on just driving (hint-hint)" because quite frankly, I wasn't really up for a walk to the library. Josiah said, "Oh no, let's walk!" Oooookay...change of plans, gather water bottles, get the stroller, make sure I have gum because though you may not realize it gum is a VERY important part of walking to the library. I'm thinking this isn't all bad. My kids are clearly absorbing some shreds of what I want them to learn, since they would rather walk than drive. Plus, then I won't be driving, meaning won't be using gas, won't be putting whatever I put into the environment when I do drive, and my kids are realizing that we don't HAVE to drive everywhere. Bring on the walk.
Fast forward 2 hours. We are turning up the last road into our 'subdivision' (I use that term loosely). The kids are tired. I'm tired. Micah has already fallen about 15 times and forced me to enforce a "No Running" rule. Josiah is walking sooooooo slooooooowly, I keep calling to him to please walk a little faster and keep up with us, because we weren't walking THAT fast. And then Micah says, "OH NO! Molly lost one of her shoes!"
Argh. Really???
I make us turn around and walk back around the corner, but I don't see it and if we continue the walk back we have to cross the sort-of busy corner intersection again and I don't feel like doing that AGAIN. Plus, I'm also running the risk that her shoe is actually back at the library and we're going to end up walking all the way back and then still have to walk home again and I don't think that ANY of us have the energy for that. So, instead we truck on back home and all pile in the car and drive the roads to the library as I had planned on doing in the first place, only this time Josiah is hanging out of the window like a dog because he's checking the ground for her shoe.
We did find it, by the way. And it wasn't all the way back at the library. Just half-way there. And thank goodness we found it because Emilia is QUITE attached to these shoes. She's slept in them since I gave them to her 2 days ago. She SCREAMS when I take them off to put her jammies on.
Oh well!
2 comments:
You are waaaaay braver than I am... I do need to take Brooke to the library but first I need to figure out where it is! (actually, there's one immediately across the street from Shell downtown but, yeah right, like I'm willing to go downtown on the weekends....) btw, made the choc peanut butter fudge cake twice now. Raving success both times!
Wow...you are a brave person...wish i had that courage...=) glad you had an "interesting day" luv ya btw: on my 8th grade block i am putting "rolling down the big hill" as one of my "inside jokes" hee hee
Post a Comment